A common formatassignment you have to cope with in college is the 500-word essay. You can describe writing such a task with a large number of different expressions, stretching from “very easy and enjoyable” to a “catastrophic Armageddon”. To be honest a 500-word essay is not a huge mission to complete, once you master the subject and you have developed your own opinion on it. Yet the sun is not always shining and sometimes even the easiest task can be very demanding: especially difficult topics, a theme you really don’t like, one of those day when everything conspires to keep you from focusing on your assignment. In this case you can resort to some of the numerous writing services or you can, with a great deal of patience, sit at your desk and overcome the impasse. Having some notes and a sample of how a 500-word essay should look like can be very helpful: Google for 500 word essay examples and tips, you will be submerged with tons of really good and inspiring material.
A Few Guidelines On How To Write A 500-word Essay
- An overall outline. Write down a general skeleton of what you think is worthy writing about the topic. Take your outline open, adding points and hints, or eliminating them while writng your paper, as your ideas become more coherent and clear.
- Introduction. Describe by and large the subject of the essay, keeping in mind which points would you like to focus on in the body: some words, skillfully distributed in the text, can drive readers in a precise direction. The introduction is a sort of narrative door: making it beautiful and appealing it’s a great invitation to proceed to the body.
- Body. Indeed the main and largest part of any essay, in which your points are fully described and developed. Make the body effective by basing the content on a solid ground: opinions are valuable, but are opinions. Facts, data and reliable sources give your text insight and credibility.
- Conclusion. It is the last part of the essay and the most critical in some respects: here your points bloom into a thesis, a sentence, a position which become somehow public material. You may say that you remain in your page, while your conclusions go beyond it, inspiring other people, being confuted or further developed by someone else. Isn’t it challenging and fascinating?
- Style. What is beautiful in writing is that everyone has his own style: we are all different and our approach to words and how we combine them is unique and incomparable. If I should make a suggestion on the style, I would recommend to adequate it to the topic and the likely audience. Be descriptive and add some juice in the text, make your readers smile or say “oh” without becoming redundant or too poetic, especially in short assignment as 500 word essays.
- If you weren’t the author. After you’re done, let your essay resting for a while, then check grammar, syntax and spelling. A good practice should be to go through your text imagining to be one of your readers: does the essay succeed in reaching the original goal? Is it easy to read, exhaustive and comprehensible? If you are not satisfied, revise and polish it until you are.
- Plagiarism: awareness and responsibility. Plagiarism is decidedly to be avoided. Besides being very easy to be detected, it doesn’t enrich you and prevent you from becoming a responsible grown adult. Of course you don’t need to have opinions on everything, or you may need some non-original content: in these cases, you can quote, mention, add a reminder, whatever! just remember that your accountability matters and sooner or later you will answer for your actions and decisions, as a student, employee, in a leadership position or, above all, as a man.
Just a few tips as I stated before. You can adjust them on longer tasks, a research paper for example, a term paper or whatever longer essay. One last smart idea: once you have familiarized with writing and perhaps discovered that you are very talented at it, you can apply for some of the numerous available scholarships for budding writers, getting good money during your college or academic years. Wouldn’t that be great?
500 word essay writingJuly 15, 2013 - Posted to Essay Types
This type of essay is exactly just that, an essay written in 500 words. This is unless off course your lecturer or professor has specified otherwise. This type of easy is not actually as difficult as most students assume. The first step to writing a successful article begins with anticipating the essay. The essay attempts to provide its reader with an understanding on a particular subject. Where there are a variety of topics, pick a topic that is not so broad, as this will help you achieve the word limit. The most important pointers in writing a five hundred essay are to stick to the topic and the recommended word count.
Writing the Essay
A 500 essay typically has three sections, the introduction, the body and the conclusion. Each of these parts has its own unique purpose. Therefore, it is important to know what appears where. The parts of the essay are:
- Introduction – This is the first section and it is typically a 100 words or less in length. It can be considered as the gateway that ushers the reader into the author’s arguments. A good introduction like a good doorway therefore, should be inviting. This is achieved by choosing an interesting aspect of the topic assigned. Relevance is also important and so ensures that the topic is relevant to the reader. A key feature of the introduction is the thesis statement. This part of the introduction informs the author of what the paper argues.
- Body – This is the main part of the essay. Typically, it is the longest part as well, and it focuses on supporting the thesis statement. For a 500 word essay with a five hundred word count, the body would be about three hundred words. In the body, ensure that your arguments are related to the topic. Secondly, focus your content on supporting your argument. Thirdly, ensure that you have a factual framework, rather than basing your content on opinion. This can be achieved by using references and citing them appropriately. A writer may choose to begin with the stronger points and finish with the weaker points, or begin with the milder ones and conclude with the strongest. The latter is a better choice since it offers a punch line effect where the reader gains a stronger opinion as they lead on. This is very important for the conclusion part.
- Conclusion – The conclusion focuses on affirming the writer’s stance. For a 500 word essay, the typical length of the conclusion would be a hundred words, just like the introduction. The conclusion leads the reader out of the writer’s world. A good conclusion therefore should reassure the reader of the importance and relevance of their literally voyage. It may begin by restating the thesis statement, probably in stronger terms. One or two of the strongest supporting points are then mentioned. Finally, the relevance of the topic is revisited, and further directions are given to the reader, on the applicability of the argument.
Tips and pointers
Due to the brief nature of 500 word essays, ensure that the topic you pick is not extremely broad. Represent your ideas in concise and succinct sentences. Secondly, plagiarism is a big no in 500 word essays just like in other academic pieces. Ensure that your paper has zero plagiarism. It is also important to proofread your work. This is an effective method of rooting out plagiarized sections. In addition to this, also check the spellings and grammar within the essay. While you read the essay, ensure that there is coherence and that there is a good and logical flow of ideas. Once you are satisfied, you could go through it again from your audience’s perspective, or that of your lecturer. This will help you assess whether it meets the conditions.
500 word essayessayessay writing