Social work cover letter
View this sample cover letter for a social worker, or download the social work cover letter template in Word.
As a social worker, you know the value of the ability to multitask—so should your cover letter. To be considered for top social work jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your clients. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for social work, or download the social work cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about health care careers and look for social worker jobs on Monster.
Social work letter template
Heather Jones, Lcsw
Sometown, CA 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
August 10, 2017
Dr. Regina Hall
Director of Social Work Services
55 West St.
Sometown, CA 55555
Re: Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Ref. #12345, Advertised on Monster
Dear Dr. Hall:
ABC Organization has earned a reputation for delivering on its mission to provide innovative clinical programming and unsurpassed patient care. I share this mission, and would welcome the chance to discuss ways I can contribute to the continued success of your social work program.
As a dedicated LCSW, my background includes 15 years as a residential counselor, homeless shelter social worker, clubhouse assistant director and crisis and family services specialist. Repeatedly recognized for excellence in leading program development, service implementation and supportive counseling, I have served populations presenting a range of neurological and psychological disorders as well as emotional, behavioral, substance abuse and developmental challenges.
In all experiences, I used a strengths-based approach in treatment planning and focused on providing optimal psychosocial care. Career highlights include:
- Working with DEF Hospital’s social services director to implement Together for Success program serving psychiatrically diagnosed adults who are experiencing a crisis. The program has helped 100+ patients, diverting them from hospitalization and reintegrating them into the community.
- Contributing vision and direction to GHI House’s clubhouse model that helped a newly opened program in Sometown County attain and maintain Clubhouse International accreditation.
- Increasing residential placements 64% by developing partnerships with area landlords to gain their support and agree to provide rental housing for homeless tenants.
After earning an MSW from Sometown University, I recently returned to pursue a Doctor of Social Work (DSW) degree with a concentration in mental health. I am an LCSW in the State of California.
My experience providing guidance, assessment and treatment for diverse patient populations combined with an ability to manage programs and build alliances would be valuable to your social work program. Please call me at (555) 555-5555 or email email@example.com to schedule a meeting. Thank you.
Heather Jones, LCSW
See all sample cover letters on Monster.
School Social Worker Cover Letter
School Social Workers assist students dealing with problems that affect their academic performance. These professionals are employed by schools or educational institutions and complete the following duties: talking to students about issues such as illegal drugs or school attendance, identifying students with economic or physical challenges, providing emotional support, supporting at-risk groups, referring student to other specialists, communicating with parents and teachers, maintaining case files, and organizing workshops.
Eligible cover letters for School Social Workers mention the following qualifications:
- Previous experience working in a school
- Knowledge of student issues
- Social work training
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good listening skills
- Organizational abilities
- Time management
- Computer literacy
Relevant job skills can be seen in the example cover letter displayed below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive School Social Worker Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Sheppard:
When I learned of your search for a new licensed and highly skilled School Social Worker to join your staff at Jefferson High School, I hastened to send along the enclosed resume for your consideration. With 13+ years of experience providing emotional and academic support to students facing various issues and concerns, I am poised to significantly benefit your school—and your students—in this role.
My background lies in providing a range of support and counseling services to students, parents, and teachers comprising diverse personalities, cultures, ethnicities, and socioeconomic backgrounds. In striving to enhance the emotional and academic welfare of students, I excel in developing individualized student plans, performing social intake assessments, and providing crisis intervention as necessary while quickly connecting with students and establishing trusting relationships, With my strong communication and empathy skills, I am positioned to thrive in this challenging position.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Managing a caseload of up to 205 students with varying academic and emotional challenges, including special needs; developing curriculum and facilitating programs to encourage growth and success while liaising across multiple groups encompassing parents, teachers, and administrators.
- Providing overarching support to students, evaluating concerns, developing treatment plans, advocating for students, and working closely with teachers and parents to reach student goals.
- Delivering referral linkage to school-based support services and external resources, leveraging extensive network of community resources and contacts cultivated throughout my career.
- Played a key role in developing and introducing an Anger Management support group at Redford High School, leading to a drastic reduction—65%—in detentions and suspensions resulting from physical aggression.
- Utilizing superior interpersonal and communication abilities to provide optimal solutions and support in difficult and stressful situations.
With my previous experience in student social services, complemented by my expertise in providing comprehensive assistance to students in need, I believe I could swiftly exceed your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position in further detail would be most welcome.
Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
James J. Spencer